The question is “What are the types of Business applications and how to select it?” is very common.
It is very important to know the type and behaviour of application or software when you are buying any tech tool. Here, we are not talking about too old technologies like monolithic applications etc…
There are mainly four kind of business applications:
- Desktop or Windows Applications
- Web Applications
- Used for Local Access
- Used for Global Access
- Mobile Application
- Cloud Application
Remember, Internet is international network which can be used or applied to any type of application.
Desktop or Windows Applications
Desktop application is installable application which has to install in every computer. Generally database locates on the same computer where the software is installed but it can be connected with server and database can be centralized.
Following are the usual case when you can go for desktop application.
- Single User (Usage): If you have single user of the software.
- Application required Minimum Configurations which can easily match with desktop computer configurations.
- Lack of Infrastructure i.e., Internet, Networking etc…
- Budget is limited: Compare to other types of applications, desktop or windows applications are cheaper.
- User Expectations
- Application is not integrated with Any other system
A Web application (Web app) is an application program that is stored on a remote server and delivered over the local network or Internet through the browser interface.
Web App or Website can be deployed in local network or LAN to give limited access (i.e., local access) as well as through internet can be accessed globally.
Each type of application has it’s own advantages and disadvantages, web application or website is accessible through browser and hence no need to install in each computer. Major use case is when there are several concurrent users accessing application and you want platform independent access. Web application is easy to maintain and secure.
Mobile application or mobile app is a type of application designed to run on a mobile device such as a phone or tablet or watch.
The use case is self explanatory because we all know mobile apps gives “On the go access”.
A cloud application or cloud app is a type of software where cloud-based and local components work together. This model relies on remote servers for processing logic that is accessed through a web browser with a continual internet connection.
Along with the type of application, you also have to remember following things when you are selecting new tech tool:
- Type of Users
- Check the skills of users who are going to operate the systems.
- Infrastructure Availability
- What type of resources you already have which can be use for new tech tool.
- Integration Requirements
- If you have any existing system or planning to integrate/merge with other systems.
- Custom Code
- There might be chances to custom code i.e., customization the new tech tool.